05 March 2009

Chile


The first time I entered Chile, down South in Patagonia, it was to trek Torres del Paine, the most famous trek in all Patagonia. Famous for a reason. It's a national park of immense and wild beauty and with such extreme and unpredictable weather conditions, that whoever manage to trek there for at list a couple of days, at the end feels like a hero. Especially when you do it on your own...

During my five days I got wet to the bones, been blown away by extreme wind (my tent as well!) and frozen during the night I stayed in a camp next to the glacier Grey. But, when I've entered the most beautifully valley - Vale Frances, the sun generously shined over all those incredible mountain picks and glaciers. Not so lucky when it came the time to see Torres del Paine... that day it was snowing hard!

The second time I entered Chile was after I left Usuaia, to travel up North. It took me one week of hard and fast traveling to reach Pucon, a town in Chilean lake district. There are no roads in Southern Chilean Patagonia, therefore the trip consisted of several buses, ferries and a two nights, one day boat trip. Finally, I spent a week in Pucon, climbing two volcanoes, rafting, horse riding, canopying and having good time with friendly locals.